Saturday, October 15, 2011

Taking back Sunday.

I struggle to remember a time when Sundays weren't occupied by homework or studying, being holed up on the 6th floor of McKeldin Library reviewing anatomical structures or attempts at deciphering what Shakespeare and Bronte were trying to get across. When mornings and early afternoons weren't defined by rehearsals and matinee performances and the carpeted corners of the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. When days weren't consumed by working full 8 hour days and missing out on much needed additional sleep. When spare moments weren't spent buying groceries, filling the gas tank, cleaning out dresser drawers, and catching up on phone calls and e-mails. Okay, well, maybe the latter still occurs, but these days, on any given Sunday, I have the pleasure of waking up (without alarm) and tackling the delicious task of choosing how I'd like to spend the day. I am officially taking back Sundays.

For the religious, Sunday is the Sabbath, a day of rest, of worship, a day 'without acts,' or work. For the sports fanatics, Sunday is more so about football, couches, and bowls of chips. For students, it's a day for homework, projects, studying and libraries. And I suppose for the grand masses, Sundays are defined by the necessary acts we neglect throughout the week: yard work, laundry, dishes, cleaning, errands, and catching up with those we miss. In my attempt to take back Sundays, I've aimed to eliminate anything that is not relaxing, pleasurable, or fun from the agenda.

Some favorite things I've been doing these Sundays?

Brunch. One of the greatest creations of life. I'll eat banana pancakes with cinnamon butter any Sunday, thank you. And if you're looking for a lovely breakfast spot, try Grump's Cafe. You won't be disappointed.

Walks. I love to walk. Especially this time of year. In Autumn, as colors change and temperatures drop, there's nothing more enjoyable than a leisurely bimble around town. I recommend strolling hand in hand with someone you love, having a 'walk and talk' with your best girlfriend, or even getting out with a sweet dog at the end of your leash. And I have to say, downtown Annapolis offers the perfect collection of sidewalks, allowing one to pop in and out of pubs, shops, and of course, local bookstores.

Sleep. I said it before and I'll say it again. Sleep has become a novelty as my work weeks stretch from 40 to 60 hours. Sunday rolls around and I let myself stay between the sheets for as long as my little heart desires. I wear cozy pajamas, fuzzy socks, and snuggle up. Let us never underestimate the power of sleep to rejuvenate, empower, and satisfy.

Vegging out. So, I'm a little out of practice here, but I'm getting better. Let's just say, some times, there's nothing nicer than curling up on the couch, perhaps with a cup of tea, a friend to cuddle with, and some Modern Family or a classic movie marathon on TV. When our minds are running a mile a minute throughout the week, sometimes it's all you can do to just engage in something mindless.

Reading. I can never get enough of devouring paperbacks, but lately I find my eyelids win the battle when I try to escape at the end of a weeknight. So I welcome Sunday with its swinging benches and backyards and lovely boyfriends who let me sit and read for as long as I like. I'm currently working on The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Check it out!

Enjoying a home cooked meal. I used to love Sunday night dinners with my family- my mother's expert cooking, spending quality time with loved ones, and the ritual of it all. Scott is a great cook and I have to say I've been quite lucky to enjoy some delicious dinners prepared with love. There's nothing nicer on a Sunday evening. Oh, and don't forget the wine!

So, here's to Sundays. And taking them back. Here's to giving ourselves permission to slow down, recharge, and relish in the simple things that make us oh so happy.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Til next time,

L.

3 comments:

  1. In general I hate sundays because here almost everything is closed so you can't do nothing. But I like to spend my Sunday to read, organise my house or stay on a couch/take a nap with my Theo. He's sleeping rigth now next to me :)

    I guess we means also family as I don't have one it reminds me that... Maybe that's why I don't like sunday

    I want to try brunch but I don't want to go to Paris to do it :(

    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sab! Sundays napping with Theo sounds lovely! You should also try brunch! Cooking at home in your pajamas where you can read and snuggle on the couch is always nice!

    Miss you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is nice. the happiness project has been on my "to-read" list for a couple of years now. you'll have to tell me more about it/if i should read it.

    also. sundays are GREAT. i'm glad to hear that you are taking back sundays.

    ... you know about that band, right?

    ReplyDelete