Monday, August 16, 2010

a really great day

A few weeks ago I got to talking with a dear friend about mothers and the delicate dynamic that is the mother-daughter relationship. She said to me:

You know, the day you realize that becoming your mother is a good thing... well that's a really great day.

And I replied:

Becoming my mother is something I actually aspire to...

And we both just paused and smiled and noted that if our mothers could in fact hear this conversation it would be overwhelmingly heart warming for all.


(My mother... a few decades ago)

But it's true. As I get older I more frequently have those moments where I think, "wow, I am mother.' It's so clear in every cup of coffee I sip, or lap I run around the park, every purchase I make from clothing and accessories to housewares and magazines... every card I write, every event I plan, my need to organize and nest, and those rare moments in which I agonize, agonize, agonize... It's in the joy I feel from getting all dressed up, or spending quality time with good friends and family, from drinking champagne on a random weeknight to enjoying a delicious home cooked meal.

It's all there. Like she's been wound up within all of these elements of my life that I love and embrace no matter how seemingly small or simple. I am my mother. And I have to say that years from now when I'm even more grown up, if I can still look at my life and say that, it will still be a really great day.

2 comments:

  1. I love you. Thank you for that wonderful tribute. And I forgive you for posting that photo from my crazy youth.......3 decades ago

    ReplyDelete