Monday, February 28, 2011

the world is too full to talk about

My friend Shea is always sharing with me. Sharing the latest book she's reading, music she's listening to, recipe she's cooking. She shares the details of her day, the challenges of work, the joys of new relationships and explorations and places. She shares ideas and philosophies, hopes and plans, quotes and you tube links, videos, and poetry. I love her for this endless sharing. For this giving. She gives without hesitation or prompting or promise of the returned gesture. She fills my life with happiness, laughter, joy, and a never ending curiosity of all we've yet to share with one another.

The other night I found myself listening to her speak about a film she recently saw that had clearly been moving. There's something pretty awesome about feeling the transformation someone has experienced because of a work of art. And so I listened to my friend whose thoughts were rather expertly timed as I was in a state of feeling rather low. And she brought me back up. We continued to exchange ideas and thoughts and questions about life and the world, as we always seem to do, wondering if other people are as self aware as we. And I just thought, how lucky am I to have such kind of friends? Well, pretty lucky.

This week she shared this:

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn't make any sense.

-Rumi

2 comments:

  1. my dear friend liz is an incredible writer and an amazing woman who inspires me in so many ways.
    ...thanks for always listening. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am always here to listen. :) thank you for being my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete