Monday, October 4, 2010

Another Check Out Chat

Sunday night and it's raining. My roommate and I are sitting in the living room, lights out, watching Splendor in the Grass... god do I love Natalie Wood. I'm snuggled under a cozy brown blanket, flipping through a Real Simple magazine, relishing in the fact that it's Sunday night and I'm not working.

I then flash to the notion that, shoot, I'm out of toothpaste!

I throw on my rain jacket and run over to Rite Aid. Now, I take dental hygiene very seriously and refuse to be without my beloved blue tube of Crest. Of course I end up filling my basket with a few other things beyond the necessary item, though isn't that the curse of a store like this?

I make my way over to the check out where a young and rather chatty gentleman rings me up. He makes a comment about literally every item I purchase:

Toothpaste: "Ah, is this kind any good? I gotta say I'm a Colgate man myself."
Mouthwash: "I can't use mouthwash, dude. It like, makes my gums burn, you know?"
Toothbrush: "New toothbrush, huh? How often are you supposed to replace these? Like every 3 months? Yea, I don't do that. I think my current toothbrush is going on almost a year."

Me: Yea man, that's gross.

Hairbrush
: "Aren't the wooden bristles supposed to better for your hair than the plastic ones? I mean, you have nice hair. Have you always used the wooden kind? I don't think I even own a hairbrush."
Bobby Pins: "So, haven't you always wondered where the name bobby pin even came from? Like, who's Bobby? I guess it's kinda like a safety pin, right?

Me: Well, no. Not really. Different shape. One's for your hair. Yea, no, not really alike at all.

Gum: "Oh you like Orbit? I like it too but I'm more of a peppermint kind of guy, you know?"
Nail polish: "Oh you know this color is really in this season?"

Me: Hah, how do you know that?

Issue of Cosmo Magazine
:...

He gets a little red in the face and looks up at me and doesn't say a word.

Hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment